Hebrew Union College
The school was built around the principles of Reform Judaism and initially was located at K.K. Bene Israel with a modest enrollment of 14 students.
Rabbi Isaac M.Wise, who had been striving to create a sustainable rabbinical training facility since 1848, served as the President and took on the duties of schoolmaster when it became apparent that the sole teacher, Solomon Eppinger would be unable to handle the class adequately in his solitary position.
On July 11, 1883, the first four HUC rabbinical students (Israel Aaron, Henry Berkowitz, Joseph Krauskopf, and David Philipson) were ordained and declared as “rabbis of Israel.”