1896

United Jewish Charities

First head of United Jewish Charities (1896-1924), 731 West Sixth Street. <br><br>Courtesy of The Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Counted amongst the organizations forming this collective were The Foster Home Association, The Hebrew General Relief Association, The Industrial School for Boys, Industrial School for Girls, Jewish Ladies' Sewing Society, The Ladies’ Sick Poor Society, and The Plum Street Industrial School.

The main reason for forming the United Jewish Charities of Cincinnati (a precursor to the Jewish Federation of Cincinnati) was to combine all of the aforementioned organizations, making it easier to oversee their collective efforts.

With all the organizations united, they could attempt to enlist the entire Jewish community to help combat poverty, while simultaneously providing the poor with the means to elevate themselves.